I swear no one plans anything for when I'm here, but as soon as I've booked my flight they're like, "Sweet, she's gone! Let's get married/ engaged/ pregnant/ freaky." It's a conspiracy!
This time I seem to be worringly blase about the whole situation, bumbling along until my flight. People ask "Who are you flying with?", "Are you having a stop over?", "What countries do you plan to visit?", "What's your itinerary?", "When's your return flight?" - all questions I do not know the answer to.
I have booked my first two nights in a hostel in Bangkok and through this indepth and thought-out planning, I consider myself sorted.
So without further ado, I have compiled a list of Jodie's travel must-haves (in no particular order apart from the one in which I took them out of my semi-packed backpack):
Yes, the obvious one, you'll notice mine has a lovely stickered design courtesy of the troglodytes at Camp America.
Check your passport is in date, check you can actually find your passport, check that you (like my brother) haven't accidentally put it through the washing machine causing it to look ludicrously counterfeited and check it is in your bag before you leave.
Also, make sure you have all the necessary visa documentation before you go. The best way to check on this is on the embassy or consulate website or just check in a recent guidebook.
A lot of visas cannot be applied for way in advance (the Thai is within 30 days of arrival) but plan ahead and gather any documentation you may need. This may include a bank statement for proof of funds, a letter from your boss or university, a postal order or a correctly completed visa application.
By being organised early you have time to gather anything you need for your visa applications; be it shockingly overpriced photobooth photos, a feather from a golden eagle or a toenail shard from the lesser-spotted wombat.
2. Guidebook
"My name is Jodie and I buy the Lonely Planet" - there I said it, and you know what? I'm not ashamed.
And you know what I see to these people? Shove it up your batik you pretentious toad.
Yes yes, it is important not to travel with your head jammed in a guidebook and be open to diversions and recommended routes/hostels/bars. But, when your bus gets stuck on the wrong side of a flooded road on your way to Panama, and you end up in your destination town in the middle of the night, you'll be glad to have a list of albeit out-of-date-price-wise accommodations to choose from (as I did when it happened to me).
Travel books provide the history of your location as well as customs and religious information, as well as addresses of local embassies and police stations, should anything go wrong.
I always travel with a guidebook, but I don't stick religiously to it and remember to put it down to look around. I even go one step further and go into STA pretending to be interested in their tours, take the brochure and steal ideas from them. Win win.
3. Mesh bags and pegs
Trust me, take some cheapie laundry bags; you will not regret it.
As for the pegs, you'll be the jealousy of the hostel as you hang out your freshly scrubbed washing gloriously straight. Just watch their longing eyes as they gaze upon your t-shirts drying stupendously quickly in the warm breeze, whilst their knotted messes hang damp nearby.
You will grow to love the pegs.
I always take a load of bikinis with me travelling, mostly because I have a few that stay on when I'm surfing, one that's good for lounging around in and another that allows me to tan the previously untanned places. I was thinking more like different strap locations instead of going tiny, in case that was what you were thinking.
Also, bikinis (and boardies for that matter) are great because they are clothes that dry super quick.
There's no point in carting around a load of frilly knickers when you can totally rock a bikini every day. Plus, washing is a doddle so there's no need to cart round a huge laundry bag of four-times-used smalls.
As well as the very real point that people are far more accepting of a bunkbed-attached washing line full of bikinis than they would be of a polka dot curtain of your M&S undies - I'm looking at you, Liz.
5. Pashminas and cover ups
You can use them to cover your wobbly bits, as a sunshield, a temporary towel or blanket or as a scarf to keep you warm.
However, one of the most useful uses for a pashmina is to keep respectfully covered when entering a place of worship. You don't want to be turned away or accidentally insult someone due to your inappropriate attire.
For the same reason girls, always remember to pack t-shirts and at least one long skirt or pair of trousers for when you want to visit the temples.
Also, in some countries western women are seen as fair game with lose morals so try to shun the stereotype by keeping covered and don't show your cheeky bits to anyone unless you really, really like them.
6. A pack of cards
I was gifted these cards many moons ago, although I can't remember who by, and they have been everywhere with me.
I can't even begin to guess how many hands of inappropriately named card games have been played with them or how many fellow travellers have commented on the poor photo choices or bad spelling of the pictures.
Cards are great for playing patience in airports but are also a useful social tool. Everyone from everywhere seems to know a variation of the game Shithead and through arguing over the power cards, you may have just found your travel buddy for the next few days or at least a drinking partner for the night.
Now, whose turn was it to shuffle?
7. Locks
Now, not to be a scaremonger, but people do get stuffed nicked. I myself have had stuff sneakily swiped whilst I wasn't looking.
At the end of the day, if people want your stuff they'll probably take it.
The best way to avoid being the target of a thief is by not advertising yourself. Don't take out your fancy laptop, your top of the range SLR, your expensive jewellery, your original Monet or your Faberge egg, because you're just asking for trouble.
Be discreet or just leave it at home.
Locks can go so far as a detterant for an opportunist but if you have everything under lock and key then people will think, "What have they got in there that's so important/expensive/awesome?" and then Bingo, stuff: gone.
8. Feminine hygiene!
So in short, take a supply. The same goes for hand sanitiser gel and sun tan lotion and bug spray.
Many of the locals will not use these products as they have no need for them - a natural immunity to the bugs or a darker skin tone.
I'm not saying become a rambling apothecary, but remember that if you really want it, consider taking some with you.
9. A crap phone
Hello 2001!
Seriously, crap phones are good for two, well three, reasons and they are:
- They are super awesome as an alarm clock for early morning bus rides and surfs.
- They act as a relief from the 'ominous, foreboding throat knotter' experienced whilst waiting for your emails to load. Scary stuff. No news is good news, right?
- Their lights are great for drunkenly finding your way back to your bunk in a pitch black dorm room. Accidentally getting into someone elses bed is not good for international relations. Mr Annan would not be happy.
10. A book, or two
One minute, you're retina deep in one of the classics pictured and the next, you're wondering if Suki ever does get ravished by Henley in the dire chick-lit you've picked up.Examples I have previously read include 'Total Recall', 'The Phantom of the Opera', 'The Total Brewing Annual 2004', 'Mens Health Ultimate Fitness Guide 2006' and the first of a four part explanation of the start of the Second World War (ask me anything about Rommel).
11. Sensible shoes
However, they are perfect. Light, hard wearing, comfortable and sexy. Ok, so maybe not sexy but they do the job if you fancy a ramble up a mountain or are moving through a city and don't want to get your feet stinking.
I have previously made the mistake of lugging around a pair of hiking boots, but unless you're planning an extreme hiking holiday, I'd say they probably aren't worth it as they take up a load of backpack space and are heavy.
Also, I left mine outside my tent in Nicaragua for two weeks and when I went to put them back on, I realised an entire colony of ants had moved in, eggs and all. I could almost hear them shrieking "Save the Queen! Save the Queen!" as I shook /gassed them out. Lovely.
12. A torch, a camera and a first aid kit (torch and camera not pictured as I am getting them tomorrow for my birthday)
I tend not to buy the shop kits (honestly, who wants to carry around a foil blanket and a thumb bandage applicator?) and just make my own.
I include immodium (other soupy poopy tablet brands are available), germolene, antiseptic wipes, one of those long plaster strips, nail scissors, Dioralyte and some wound closure strips.
I could have done with at least two of those when I contracted Giardia but unfortunately did not have them. Doh.
As far torches, I have previously gone for the old head torch but have realised they aren't great in social situations what with you blinding everyone you're speaking to. I wondered why everyone looked so squinty eyed and creased. This time, I think I'd prefer a normal hand-held one but hey, I'm not fussy.
And as for a camera, something small and compact is best I think, this time I'm getting a waterproof one! Amazing! Just make sure you take either a big enough SD Card or a USB stick so you can transfer all your photos.
So, that's it and anything else is surplus. Bring on the travel!
x
No comments:
Post a Comment