I chose to write a poem about my work as a carer with adults with dementia and a more personal piece of prose about my grandfather.
Here's me reading for the first time as an invited writer:
Here's the poem :
Your Husband
A key-lock used to enter,
family photos on the wall,
we check in to on-call service
from the guest phone in the hall.
We know where he’ll be sitting,
his care plan and routine,
we know his pills and creams and times
and how he takes his tea.
To us he’s Mr Davies
but to you he is just ‘dear’,
or Daddy, Dad or Grandad,
and other names throughout the years.
A commode where once were golf clubs,
a dry-pad on his seat,
button alarm around his neck,
catheter bag between his feet .
There are tanks outside his window,
there is a man under his bed.
There’s things he sees that we cannot,
the things inside his head.
The tanks turn into rubbish trucks,
the man just goes away,
he wonders what we did with him,
he marvels at your name.
I know you’re stood outside the door,
to watch me as I care,
as I wipe him, wash him, dress and clean,
you know I know you’re there.
So when he says I’m pretty,
or that I’m nice and tall,
I know that you know that he doesn’t know,
that he doesn’t mean
it at all.
And here is the piece about my grandfather:
A Boat for One
The last time I saw my grandfather, he didn’t know who I
was.
To him, I was just another one from the stream of strange
faces who came to wash him, dress him, help him go to the toilet.
‘That girl’, he’d call me, ‘that nice young girl’.
Of course I’d just snap straight back into my carer role –
guide him to his comfy chair, change his pad, reassure him when I found him
wandering the house at night.
I’d be woken by him clattering his zimmer frame into the
wooden doors. ‘Hello?’ he’d say, ‘hello?’ Pyjama-clad I’d rush downstairs, ‘Hi
Jim’, I’d say.
I’d never called him Jim before.
‘It’s ok, you’re at home’.
I’d then tuck him
back into bed.
I couldn’t see much of what I remembered – the man with the
wicked sense of humour who could make anything out of wood, who insisted on
going to Ogmore beach every time we visited, completely irregardless of the
weather, and had his own special pint glass behind the bar at his local.
Perhaps he was still down there somewhere, smothered by the
huge knitted jumpers which used to fit, but now just pooled on the chair around
him. They hung as if draped over a scarecrow, his shoulders empty boughs, his
knuckles; gnarled oak.
Moth picked and aged, there were too many holes to hold in
the straw.
I could see it as it fell through the air, its motes
catching golden in the light. I saw it collect in drifts along the floor;
heaped memories. Unaware of its significance he stuck to his cleared path, his shambling
gait exposing the carpet.
‘I want my wife, Kay, my wife’, he’d say to me, over and
over, as I helped him dress. Momentarily
I’d rise to it, ‘I know’ I’d think, ‘I know who she is, that’s my name too.’
But then I’d remember.
And then I’d forget.
‘Pleasantly muddled’, we’d say, ‘Away with the fairies’. An
affectionate term, a positive spin.
There wasn’t much else we could do – no emergency brake, no
miraculous antidote, no rip cord, no life ring to thrown out to him.
So, together we stood on the shore and waved and smiled as
he drifted out in the current. And when he was way out on the horizon, we
lifted our arms high in the air to show him we were still watching, were still
there. And that even when he couldn’t see us anymore, we could still see him.
Still knew him.
He sailed away in a boat for one and we watched him go.
‘That girl’, he said, ‘that nice young girl’.


Beautiful Jodie x
ReplyDeleteThanks Greta :)
ReplyDelete