Sunday, 6 May 2012

Shipwreck Poem

There's a shipwreck called The Lucy off the coast of Pembrokeshire (near Skomer Island) which I dived a couple of years ago, you can find out some more information about it here.

I remember the day quite vividly as on the dive after this, a seal swam up to me and was playing with my fins for about 5 minutes, it was amazing! Then he swam to the surface and just floated there watching us - incredible.

This poem is actually inspired by the poem 'Inchape Rock' by Robert Southey, which was written in 1820. I remember hearing it as a child and was always struck by the imagery of the bell floating deeper and deeper. Creepy.

So here is my take; due to artistic licensing I left out the fact that once I got the surface, I was really seasick and puked and puked and puked.

So, without further ado (feel free to comment, I don't think you need to join anymore!):

Me in my dive gear on a different dive but you know, it sets the mood.

The Lucy


You tumble back into the waves,
forty metres down, Lucy waits.
She’s sat there since the 60s,
but you’ve never met before.


The hazard orange, floating bauble
sits as surface evidence,
of the hidden, deeper secrets
to which it is shackled.


Her name is scrawled across the buoy
that marks her final resting place,
which you’ll use to navigate to her
in the brimstone treacle depths.


So, you slip beneath the surface
where the warm sun cannot follow,
and from red the colours fade.
You plummet slow to shaded depths.


When you have no point of reference
your mind struggles for a mark,
to put its worried self at ease
amongst the silted, gravy water.


Imagined creatures spiral
in the gloom just out of view,
tantalising your periphery,
fabricating looming shadows.


Your left hand feeds the buoy line,
ripcord-taut against the tide,
its recurring jerks and bucks
warn of skyward rolling swell.


As you sink you feel the fingers
of a seeping thermo cline,
its slicing cold snips at the skin
that sits exposed around your mask.


You see the signal trail of bubbles
from your buddy just below,
this cyclic clue of exhalation
becomes a welcome sign of life.


Down here the only discord
is the rasping of your breath,
through the tanks and tubes and pipes
of your artificial lungs.


As you descend you check your gauge,
work out depth, air and direction.
Take out your torch, its blade of light
blunt insufficient in the smog.


And then,
Her rusted bow.


She seems so solid in the dark,
sat blinking from your torch,
in her nightgown of anemones
that soften all her corners.
The crab and wrasse and dogfish,
are her pelagic chaperone.
She’s tickled by Bristle star,
and flanked by hurried cuttles,
the sea fans hide her blush.
A lace of Dead Man’s Fingers.


In ascent I train my torch down,
to watch her evanesce.
Until she fades from my beam,
And shuts her eyes once more.

x





No comments:

Post a Comment