'An unreliable narrator is a first-person narrator that for some reason has a compromised point-of-view. In all stories with a first-person narrator, the narrator serves as a filter for the events. What the narrator does not know or observe cannot be explained to the reader. Usually, however, the reader trusts that the narrator is knowledgeable and truthful enough to give them an accurate representation of the story. In the case of an unreliable narrator (sometimes called a fallible narrator), the reader has reason not to trust what the narrator is saying.'
So basically, he's got the wrong end of the stick and he is the only one who doesn't realise...
Underneath
Tuesday 6th September 2011
Dear Diary,
Well, I must start by saying that today has been glorious! The skies have been blue all afternoon and the sunrise this morning was breathtaking, the heavens were aflame with ochres, violets and vermilions. In fact, it was so warm my Riesling and I were even able to sit out in the garden right up until dusk, and all in a short sleeved shirt! I really would not rather be anywhere else than this little village at this splendid time of year.
And I am not ashamed to tell you, my dear diary, that today I feel truly blessed.
We woke up at 5:30am (as usual) and took our breakfast on the terrace. True to form, Gatsby was after mine once he had finished his, but I recalled what the vet had said and resisted, even with his big, brown, pleading eyes fixed on me as they were. That reminds me, I must remember to order some more of his heart tablets – I shall do that in the morning.
So, after that we took our morning stroll down the garden and into the woods, towards the reservoir. The chaffinches were out in force and their music was beautiful, and lo and behold, we even had the luck to spot a doe and her young fawn not 30 yards away. We watched them for what must have been a whole minute before they caught wind of us and darted off. The early morning sunlight streamed through the trees magnificently and the air felt so fresh.
We were just coming up towards the reservoir when Gatsby caught a scent and ran off, I could hear him barking so followed him into a leafy hollow. And imagine my surprise, dear diary, when I saw that there stood two young men, neither of which I had ever laid eyes on before! They were trying hush Gatsby but he was so proud of his nose and was showing off about it! Rather loudly, I might add.
I called out a greeting as I approached and they both seemed very surprised to see me, probably impressed that a man of my advanced years should be so deep in the woods, so very early in the morning. And to tell you the truth, they both looked very upset and agitated. I could put their red faces down to the recent exertion of refilling the large rectangular hole which lay at their feet, but there seemed to be an air of turmoil about them which I could not quite put my finger on.
It wasn’t until I enquired of the nature of their outing that the answer became clear; their very, very dear dog had passed away in the night and they were laying him there to rest. I consoled them by remarking that they couldn’t have chosen a better spot for a final resting place and that Butch (as I later learned the dogs name to be) would be very happy there. I told them about how sad I was when Gatsby’s dear mother has passed and that time really is the best healer. I asked what breed of dog Butch was, as the hole was so large, and they said he was an Alsatian. I said that Alsatians were among the noblest of dogs.
The dear fellows looked at their wits end and seemed very uncomfortable, so I offered to say a few words in remembrance of Butch, which I did, rather spectacularly I might add. They both seemed very moved by my words, and shared more than a few assuring glances with each other during my ad-lib eulogy. I closed with a passage from Corinthians, which I think they did not recognise, but still, my intentions were clear.
In the ensuing moments of respectful silence, I picked a few marigolds and laid them on the freshly tilled earth where I imagined Butch’s head to be. The two men, overcome with emotion, left straight afterwards, carrying their spades over their shoulders. However, it wasn’t until they were out of sight that I realised I hadn’t caught either of their names. A shame really, it’s not often you encounter men who wear their hearts on their sleeves quite so honourably as those two. It was refreshing to see two youths so in touch with their emotions, they did indeed seem like fine young fellows.
Well, after that curious event, we spent the rest of the afternoon painting and I must say, I managed to capture the highlights on Mrs Eagleton-Hedgley’s face rather splendidly. We then took in some Brahms in the sun room before a supper of tenderloin with a chanterelle sauté, and finished off with the aforementioned sunset Riesling.
And then, as always, off to bed at 9:00pm on the dot with a nip of port for me and a saucer of cloves and milk for Gatsby.
And to you, my dear diary, I bid goodnight.
LHD
From: Sam (0789605890265)
Received: 12:28
Date: 08.09.11
Status: Unopened
Hey Jill, r u ok? Y didnt u turn up last night? I went 2 the house this morn but Mark said u were out and he hasn’t seen u. Where r u? Txt me x
***You missed a call at 13:00 on 08.09.11 from Sam***
***You missed a call at 13:02 on 08.09.11 from Sam***
From: Sam (0789605890265)
Received: 13:04
Date: 08.09.11
Status: Unopened
Im starting to worry. Where r u? Mark said u r not at the house. Y wont u answer ur phone? Pls txt bak. Xxxxxx
***You missed a call at 14:35 on 08.09.11 from Sam***
From: Sam (0789605890265)
Received: 17:59
Date: 08.09.11
Status: Unopened
Jill, ring me! Where r u? I just want 2 no u r ok! Mark wont speak 2 me. Has he done it again? X
From: Sam (0789605890265)
Received: 08:30
Date: 09.09.11
Status: Unopened
Jill! Pls ring me! I am worried! U can stay at mine. Pls pls ring me. X
***You missed a call at 09:33 on 09.09.11 from Sam***
***You missed a call at 09:35 on 09.09.11 from Sam***
From: Sam (0789605890265)
Received: 11:02
Date: 09.09.11
Status: Message sending failed
***Your call cannot be connected. Please hold for the answerphone***

No comments:
Post a Comment