Friday, 4 May 2012

Barney and the Wenallt.

"I know what'll be nice" I thought, "I'll take Barney up the Wenallt".

So I put him in the car and off we go.

He is loving it; frolicking in the bluebells, prancing in the wild garlic, feeling the breeze in his nostrils. Here is a video of Barney enjoying himself, my favourite moment is when he notices the other dog behind him and jumps around (I apologise for my dog voice):


So there he is loving life when suddenly, he gets a little overexcited and disppears.

Gone.

I call his name, shake the treat box, whistle. I think I was ruining everyone elses' quiet morning walk by polluting the silence with:

"Barney!", "BARNEY!", 'a-chuk-a-chuk-a-chuk-a-chuk' (the shaking of the treat box) *whistle* "Baaaaaaaaarney!".

Nothing.

"No worries" I think, "I'll just do a loop track". So, off I go. 10 minutes in, no Barney. I can hear the cars on the nearby road thinking, "please don't be on the road!".

I imagine him chasing butterflies, hunting squirrels, lapping from a babbling brook, generally having the time of his life. All in slow motion with some sort of string quartert backing track, the heady sun beaming through the trees. I get annoyed.

I walk a bit more. "Baaaaarrrnnneeeyyy!"

Nothing.

15 minutes later I'm nearing the car park, ready to loop again, when suddenly he appears out of the foliage.

He looks happy to see me.

"There you are!" I say, clipping him onto his lead, "Damn dog."

Once we've walked the short distance back to the carpark, the woman in the car next to us (who I was chatting to earlier) says, "Oh, he found you then. I thought he might have run off."

I look perplexed.

She says, "He's been sat by your car for about 20 minutes."

It turns out that after realising he may have got a bit out of control, ran too far and lost me, he circled back on himself, found the car, sat by it and stayed put.

A far more sensible option that wandering around in the trees shaking a treat box.

I think I've made my point.

Well, at least one of us had a good walk...

x

No comments:

Post a Comment