Four years in the making, the SX has proven to be one of Swansea-based
John ‘JP’ Purton’s most popular models. The boards range from 5’0” to 6’6” and
are available in a swallow, square or round tail, depending on personal preference
and ability. The board was originally designed for surfers who are competent
with performance surfing but are looking for a board which will handle mushy
summer waves. It is a board design with versatility in mind, supposedly being
able to handle waist high beach breaks up to head and a half high reefs.
They’re known for high performance, good quality boards and honed
through years of experience and expertise. JP has some impressive sponsored
riders, such as Llantwit local Nathan Phillips, Tom Lowe, Fergal Smith, the
Gower’s Gwen Spurlock and Porthcawl’s Chris Seage.
The true shortboard is experiencing a decline in popularity at the
moment, especially in Britain, with many surfers favouring the old school,
retro vibes of a fish or the combined qualities of a hybrid shortie. People
with full time jobs who don’t live near the sea don’t have the option of
surfing every day and want a board that they can just jump on and get waves, that
still maintains the responsive snappiness of a shortboard but with the added
buoyancy and volume of a larger board.
I would buy this board to add to my quiver as a good all-rounder, volume
for the smaller days and concave for the bigger days yet maintaining
responsiveness throughout. Although I wouldn’t go throwing away my retro fish
or high performance shortboard just yet, as where this board seems to work well
in the middle of the spectrum, it isn’t prepared for the extremes on either
end. Saying that, the SX’s fat older brother the SX5, with its 5 fin set up and
wider deck, would be perfect for the smaller, weaker waves. Or even the RX5,
which is in the same family and yet again has a wider plan shape, and is more
akin to an original 80s thruster.
So, with this in mind I borrowed a test JP SX (a 6’2” x 19 ½ x 2 ½
squaretail to be exact) from the guys in City Surf in Cardiff city centre and
gave it a couple of tries. I surfed it twice at Rest Bay in Porthcawl and once
at Ogmore in the Vale, and also once at a secret reef somewhere on the
Glamorgan coast. I tested it in a
variety of conditions as well, between hip and shoulder high on the beachies
and head high on the reef.
The SX performed well, its super fun to ride, easily manoeuvrable,
responsive and rides well. Contrary to the fuller plan shape, it’s easy to get
a good lip smack out of it and works well on the rail to rail. The relaxed
rocker contrasts well with the single to double concave towards the tail,
meaning that the board is easy to catch waves on yet snappy and sharp.
However, on the smallest day when the waves were around hip high, I found
it incredibly hard to maintain any speed and found myself sinking wave after
wave. Despite the 6’2” length and elevated volume, I still found it hard to
surf in the conditions and would have been better off with a retro fish style
board, of course this would mean compromising the manoeuvrability. The SX is
said to work in waist high beach breaks and above, but I’d say that this was
the absolute limit for this board.
In the reef break it went really well – easy to keep the speed up and
was really easy to catch waves on. The board definitely benefited from the
added punch of the reef and I had a super fun surf, it feels a lot thinner than
it actually is and even I got some good spray off my top turns.
![]() |
| Me surfing a different board, on a different day... |
In a nutshell, I would buy this board. I want this board. It’s a good
addition to any quiver.

No comments:
Post a Comment