Cocktales
The Bangkok Sling
2 parts Necessity
1 part Unsure Approach Tactic
1 part Jet Lag
A dash of Age Related Social Anxiety
I go for a two-seater, somewhere near the edge, placing my bag on my
lap. I scan the room with a forced nonchalance.
Everyone else is sitting with someone but that’s to be expected. I’ll
have that soon enough.
I get my book out, In Cold Blood by
Truman Capote. It contrasts magnificently with my surroundings and also acts as
a friendly reminder that some people will slit your throat for absolutely no
reason. It’s nice to keep that in mind, when travelling alone.
I take a sip of my Chang and tuck into my Pad Thai, taking in the
cultural sights of Koh San Road – the ping pong shows, the beer towers, the
sweaty tourists and the tuktuk drivers that will fleece you without a second
thought. Just yesterday I saw a mystic man spit into a girl’s mouth. ‘Healing’
he called it, she didn’t seem to agree.
I lay down my chopsticks and wonder if I have any bean sprouts stuck in
my teeth. I light a cigarette, at a pound a pack it’d be rude not to, and let
my eyes roam. Those three look alright but they look a bit German, I don’t want
to embarrass myself with a language barrier, I keep looking.
Right, there’s two there. They look nice, and they’re laughing. And they look English, a bit Essex in fact.
Nice teeth, apparent low inebriation level, high approachability, they’re a
definite maybe. I finish my drink and head to the bar, skirting perilously
close to them to see if they speak English.
It’s a yes.
Drink in hand, on the way back from my recon fly-by, I look at their
shoes. Shoes are very important, they tell a lot about a person. Let’s see,
flip flops and those weird fabric shoes that seem to be in fashion. It’ll do.
At least they’re not wearing Crocs.
Ok, now for the approach. If one of them smoked then I could just ask
for a light, the perfect, text book ice breaker.
But no. Healthy bastards.
I remind myself how I need to meet friends and construct a solid mental
image of myself, reading alone in my hotel room. I can only carry so many
books. As I mentally count down, I do a final bean sprout check and wipe the
sweat off my top lip.
Three, two, one.
Go.
Serve over ice in a highball, best garnished
with a Marlboro Light.
The Vietnamese Bus Bomb
2 parts Ridiculously Long Journey
1 part Suspected Dysentery
1 part Reduced Melanin
A splash of Ill-Advised Hareem Trousers
I climb back into my bed, tucking my newly stamped passport into my
money belt. I can’t stretch out of course, anyone over 5’8 is viewed as a giant
round here. We all have our crosses to
bear. Mine is an energetic local woman who keeps flicking my face with her hair
when she leans over me to adjust the curtain with her umbrella. Something she
likes to do a lot. We’ve been on this bus for sixteen hours already, imodium-ed
up the eyeballs and rapidly losing patience.
We’re all pushed into a corner of course, the foreigners. The one
nearest to the toilet and furthest away from the fire exits. I was woken up
last night by a mouse crawling in my hair, no doubt trying to get at my
curry-crab flavoured crisps. As I tried to get back to sleep I watched a large
cockroach sauntering across the head rest in front, it paused to pose,
silhouetted heroically in the moonlight.
Suddenly, from the front of the bus comes a commotion. The driver is
heading straight for us, ‘the white corner’, gesticulating insanely and
pointing at each of us in turn. We look blankly at each other, and then at him.
He gets louder. Other passengers around us begin pointing at us, then the
border, then at us. It makes no sense.
He starts pulling us from our seats. We climb down, file out of the bus
and stand there in the dust. Then, with no warning, the door closes and he
drives off. All of about twenty metres over the border. Then, he opens the
door, pokes his head out and starts screaming back at us, motioning for us to
get back on and cursing us in Vietnamese for jogging too slow. We get back on
the bus and squeeze back into our seats.
The bus drives on.
Serve in a martini glass with a slice of
lemon and a selection of brand-name Loperamide.
3 parts Banana Leaves and Tamarind
2 parts Dutch Courage
Top off with Drunken Camaraderie
I don’t know quite how it happened, but I remember that I was definitely
naked. Definitely naked in a group of naked people, in a river, somewhere in
the Thai jungle. And there was massaging going on, I remember massaging.
There are chickens underneath the hut, I can hear them squabbling and
scratching in the dirt. The morning light sticks its pudgy hands in between the
slats, pawing at my eyelids and shoving its fingers up my nose.
Oh God.
It must’ve have been that stuff we were smoking. ‘Banana leaves and
tamarind’ the villager told me. Banana leaves and tamarind, my arse. I look
through the open doorway (there is no door) down to the river. I can see our
guide down there, talking to the villager and his wife. They’re laughing.
Probably about us.
I try to piece it together. Everything was normal up until that point,
‘banana point’. We had completed the second day of the hike, had a refreshing
swim in the river and eaten a sumptuous meal of rice and mayonnaise. We were
getting to know our hike-mates – the hot French girl, the German loner, the
weird Belgian doctor and his wife and the rest of them.
It had all gone so wrong.
I reach for my suitably ethnic, tie dyed handbag and fumble for my
camera. The start-up tune slides drawing pins into my pitifully dehydrated
brain. I flick through the pictures. Oh yes, here they are, nestled tumour-like
after photos of elephants and waterfalls.
Skinny-dipping; I never learn.
Serve Clothed.
1 whole Cunty Gary
2 parts Alcohol Induced Lust
1 part Aphrodisia
A splash of Regret
After walking for about an hour we eventually find the hospital, nowhere
near where we were directed by the last two people we asked. There are plastic
garden chairs lined up outside, full of women fanning themselves in the heat, a
baby attached to a descending nipple. They stare openly as we pass.
We mount the steps by the main entrance and kick off our flip flops,
pausing to read the signs in broken-English.
We head towards the pharmacy.
“Fucking cunty Gary and his cunty
mate. He wasn’t even any fucking good.”
We walk through ward after ward. I’m limping from when I fell through
the floor of the bar a few a days ago, the A4 sized bruise hidden under my
ever-faithful hareem trousers. We find the pharmacy and approach the window,
trying to keep our voices down.
“I had unprotected sex last night,” whispers my companion, “and I need
the pill.”
We are met with puzzled faces. The nurses here are used to seeing
Westerners with injuries, normally broken arms and slashed faces from tubing
escapades, with the odd alcohol poisoning and drug-induced stupor thrown in for
good measure. They look us up and down.
She’s floundering. I take over. I point at her.
“No condom,” I say.
More nurses come to join the confusion. They converse in Lao as I hold
my hands under my ribs, and then push them out, imaging an air pregnancy.
More muttering.
I cross my arms as if cradling a baby. “No baby,” I say.
A crowd is gathering. It’s getting desperate.
Time for the big guns.
I hold out my left hand, forming a hoop with my thumb and forefinger.
With my right, I extend my index finger. Taking a side-long glance at my
red-faced mate, I begin to slowly move my finger towards the hole. The audience
watches in anticipation.
It enters.
I go in and out a couple of times, quickening in pace to build up the
momentum, before signifying the shivering crescendo by jamming my finger to the
knuckle and making a raspberry sound with my mouth. I point at my friend
(somewhere in the ovary area) and then do the baby cradle again, “No baby”, I
say.
They converse again.
“Ahh!” one shouts, “The after-morning pill!”
“Yes!” we reply, “The after-morning pill!”
“Yes!” we reply, “The after-morning pill!”
Embarrassed sniggering and a couple of high fives all round, to
commemorate a job well done.
The crowd disperses. They give us the pill.
For a mellower version, serve in a low ball
with a side of Over The Counter By a False Name Tramadol.
Slippery Crabber
2 parts Flor de Caña Rum
1 part Vegetarian Smugness
½ a measure of Peer Pressure
A dollop of Bioluminescent Algae
“I couldn’t possibly,” I reply, “I’m a vegetarian.” I’m flooded with an
image of myself on my high horse, meadow flowers braided into my hair, looking
down at the smiling woodland creatures through my iridescent glow.
I wonder if the guys I’m talking to get the same effect.
Nevertheless, I help collect driftwood for the fire and give up my
pocket knife for the good of the group. We’re already a bottle of rum in, it
took longer than we thought for the tide to go out.
As night falls, we pick up our flip flops and head over to the reef,
dragging our feet through the phosphorescent algae in the shoreline. We keep
looking back to see our foot prints written in starlight. Those of us on acid
find this quite overwhelming.
We only have a few torches
between us, so we stick together, drunkenly belting out a rousing rendition of
‘I Drove All Night’ by Roy Orbison.
We reach the rocks and begin to scramble over, those of us with knives clamping
them between our teeth. Then, we gather into a group and assign pairs. I
nominate myself the official torch-holder.
The hunt begins.
He goes only for the big ones, stabbing them neatly in the middle of the
shell and flicking them into the saucepan I’m holding. I replace the top each
time to stop them crawling out. I found the first few quite upsetting. Poor
little buggers.
But as it goes on, I get more and more into it. The thrill of the chase
has awoken previously repressed primal instincts. I can smell their fear. After
about fifteen minutes, I turn into the ultimate hunter, scaling rocky outcrops
and seaweed covered rock pools to find the biggest.
“Here’s a massive one!” I scream, “Hurry up! Stab it! Fucking stab it!”,
as the doomed crustacean tries to jam itself into a too-small hole, its spindly
little legs paddling uselessly at the wet sand. Take that, you crabby bastard.
It wasn’t until we made our way back to the fire, with our saucepans
full of our pelagic bounty, did I feel any kind of remorse. As I watched them
sizzle on the grate, lined up claw to claw next to their fallen comrades, I was
overcome by shame. We had orchestrated and carried out a mass slaughter. They
had never even seen us coming.
I never knew I had such bloodlust in me.
Lightly dust brim of glass with some
Fraudulently Obtained Pseudoephedrine. Serve on ice.

No comments:
Post a Comment