Friday, 3 October 2014

Things to not do at a book launch

So, Wednesday (1st October 2014) was the day of my first official book launch. I mean a book which I'm actually in, rather than just knowing someone who wrote it.
The book is 'Furies: A Poetry Anthology of Women Warriors' and you can buy it here with all profits from sales (a minimum of £5 per book) going to Rape Crisis England and Wales.

So Plumb and I decided to head along to The Star of Kings in London, where the event took place.
However, I made some errors. Namely:

  1. I drank loads of red wine and didn't eat anything. Cue overly loud laughing and extreme chatterbox.
  2. I accidentally stole one of the other poet's books - she was handing it around for the poets to sign and it was left on my table. It was handed to me and I stuck it in my bag without even thinking. I discovered I had both copies later on that night. Luckily, she signed my book so I am currently in the process of trying to get hold of her contact details.
  3. I almost fell off a lock - don't try to cross canal locks in heels whilst drunk.
  4. I misspelt 'thanks' when signing the publisher's copy.
  5. I couldn't remember my own email address when asked for it.
  6. I may have danced along in the beer garden to some freestyle rap by 'Random Renee'.

However, I did do some things right too:

  1. Randomly bump into a friends of mine and Matt's from Glastonbury, who then came along to the launch and then let us hang out on her awesome house boat.
  2. Met lots of really cool people, including a few who know people that I know - thus reinforcing the 'small world-ness'.
  3. Went to bed as a reasonable time so, for once, I wasn't hungover. Huzzah!
But it was a really good night and such a good experience, it felt lovely to be involved in something which is raising money for such an amazing cause. I felt truly humbled.

Here are some photos from the night:


A representative from Rape Crisis made a moving speech

Becky (on the right) did her undergrad at Cardiff, where I am studying now
 
Jane Bradley from For Book's Sake introducing the poets and speakers
 
Amy and I with a copy of the collection (this is her picture which I totally stole).
 
The view from the canal bar.
 

The inside of my mind at the end of the night.
 
 My first publication is now out - I wonder where I'll be heading next.

No comments:

Post a Comment