Saturday, 10 December 2011

Christmas Decoration Day

After I finished work today, Mum and I put the Christmas decorations up. I've never seen anyone with so many decorations, bags of baubels (colour coded), boxes of tinsel and so many random Christmassy characters. We went a little nuts, it looks like someone set of a festive bomb.
Here's our Christmas tree - Mum insisted it should be colour co-ordinated (note the Christmas troll, top left):


I definitely feel more Christmassy now, the festive song CD helped of course. Plus, my brother Mark and his girlfriend Lulu have just arrived from Reading. Barney didn't growl at them once, I feel quite insulted. He growled at me when I came home from work before I distracted him with a doggy treat.

Out for my works Christmas dinner tonight, not a large on though as I have work at 8am tomorrow! I'm filling in a place for someone who dropped out and they have already chosen the menu, so I'm having a suprise dinner!

Here's another piece of my creative writing to keep you going:


Vinaigrette

They both reached for it at the same time but he got there first. He upended it, forcing the two elements together in temporary emulsion. They reluctantly obliged, became grudgingly amalgamated. Globules of vinegar adrift in a well of oil.

He uncorked and splashed onto his salad, the biting vinegar minutely but instantly corroding it. He re-corked and edged it towards her half of the table, but even though she had reached for it, she didn’t take it. She didn’t even raise her eyes from her pan-fried line-caught sea trout. The cutlery was deafening.

It remained there as a lonely sentinel, abandoned in no-man’s land. It’s viscera tumbled. He found it fascinating that two ingredients which were supposed to be served together could be so resolutely separate. He couldn’t take his eyes off it and became dimly aware that she was regarding it too, their secret performance.

In silence they watched the orbs of caustic balsam pirouetting downward in a mournful choreography, hitting the bottom one by one. With the layers restored the dance ended, encased in glass so that everyone could see the divide. For the briefest of instances their eyes met, she opened her mouth to say something, he braced himself.

“Could you pass the salt?” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment