Monday, 12 December 2011

Wet and windy

Today, I feel rather sick and I'm not sure why. Hopefully it isn't the start of a bug because I'm flying to Canada on Wednesday morning. My stomach feels like it's growling, tap dancing and somersaulting all at the same time. Rather unnervingly, it feels very similiar to the symptoms I experienced when I contracted giardia in Guatemala, and that really sucked.

We couldn't pin point an exact moment of infection for the giardia, but we were pretty sure it came from the 5-day hike into the Guatemalan jungle to the ruins of a mayan city. During this trip, we washed in the swamp water (see below), and also did our dishes in it. At the second campsite, I was casually showering in said swamp water when the guy next to me said 'Oh look, a crocodile'. And there it was. It wasn't very big but still, totally counts. So yep, we ate from dishes washed in that water....

A few days after the hike we started feeling a little sick and got worse from there. I eventually ended up diagnosing myself via the internet and using my rubbish spanish skills to get the tablets I needed. We also thought that maybe we could have picked up the infection/infestation from a trip we did through a water logged cave which included such safety equipment as flip flops tied to your feet with twine, a bikini and a candle. The cave was full of bats and I'm pretty sure the underground lake had tipped in the ratio to over 50% guano. Not super duper healthy.
Especially when the guide took my candle off me and said 'You want to jump?'. At which point he assisted/fondled/accosted me up onto a ledge which had about 4 ft clearance from the ceiling and held his torch pointed at the pool and said 'Jump into the light! Into light, very important! Very rocky', which stupidly, I did. Surfacing from the fetid water to a chorus of applause my fellow cavers enquired 'Did you hit the bottom?' to which I replied, rather untruthfully 'No, I totally didn't!'

That trip also ended with a rather embarrasing tube float down the river but I shall save that story for another day.

So, off we went to the city of Antigua to celebrate Semana Santa where we paid twice the price for hostels rooms for a festival which we couldn't even enjoy!
We were taking tablets meaning we couldn't drink alcohol and the three of us had to take regular naps somewhere near a bathroom. So those factors, as well as glass toilet doors in the rooms and fickle flushes (due to overcrowding) made for an interesting week.
It gets to the point where you have no qualms in casually discussing the state of your most recent bowel movement over your morning muesli. I have never felt so ill. I think I lost about a stone!

The hike, however, was totally worth it. Below is a photo of me on top of one of the temple pyramids, we climbed up there to watch the sunrise on the last day. The site is so unexcavated that there are pieces of mayan pottery everywhere, including pieces with handles, glazes and decorations made with someone pushing their fingernail in. Amazing.

I forgot to say, the temple site is called El Mirador. If you go to Guatemala, I would totally recommend it.

So, apart from pseudo packing for my trip to Canada, I'm looking forward to Christmas and enjoying the festive spirit in general.

My family has our Christmas day on a day of our choosing. As my brothers have wives/girlfriends, they are free to go to the in-laws house for Christmas Day proper, leaving a random, interrupted day for us to have ours. It works out really well, especially in regard to going to my Dads house, we don't have to rush! It's great!

I'm hoping to volunteer on December 25th, share some good tidings and festive spirit. That's the plan anyway, keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment