If I'm going to be honest, the operation did not start well. In an effort to alleviate the stress, I moved my laptop and all my books downstairs so Barnabus has some company. I have now completely taken over the kitchen table with all my texts, save for the space left for the massive chocolate egg which I have to 'share with the others'. At this point, Barney had not come out of his bed.
So, Sunday night and first walk time. I had to reach into his dog-cave, as he pressed himself up against the back wall, and attach his harness while he was in there. Once attached, he came out willingly, but eyed my over his shoulder the entire walk as if to say 'she is STILL following me.'
I did try and take him out into the sunshine as I was making poetry notes in the garden, but as you can see below, Barney was not in the mood for socialising.
Not in the mood at all.
The week seemed to continue this way, until on Tuesday night we had a break through. I went to his bed (where he has taken up permanent residence), and showed him his harness and he jumped right out! Amazing!
So, yesterday I think - 'this is it, he is finally used to me' and after a few experimental, but successful, 'Barney come here!''s I decided to let him off the lead. It initially went well; he ran off, I called him, he came back, I gave him a treat, he ran off, I called him etc but then, he ran off.
Like, properly ran off until he was just a brown blur with a little white bum bouncing around in the distance. I called and called, but he would not come. Off he went, into the bushes, out of the bushes, into the river, under the trees.
'Great' I thought 'half an hour before I have to leave before work and Barney has done a runner'
And it was then I heard the train. I was instantly reminded of the fact that two dogs had been run over on the tracks just recently and was convinced that Barney was careering towards the same fate. My heart began pounding and I felt panicky under my sweltering hot, gigantic winter coat.
And then, he appeared. Looking rather sheepish I might add. I put on my best 'come hither' expression and called him over, handing out a treat.
And over he came.
I clipped the lead on his harness and went to stroke his head but he jumped away, cowering.
It was a stark reminder of the treatment Barney might have suffered at the hands of his previous owners.
So, today I didn't let Barney off the lead. He was calm with the other dogs, let some little kids stroke him and even posed for a few photos:
And then, disaster. Literally seconds after these pictures were taken, two labradors came running over growling and bowled Barney off his feet. He was understandably upset and tried to run off at full pelt, but when the lead reached its maximum he was flung up into the air.
The owners apologised but Barney was terrified. I caught up with him and his heckles were up, his pupils huge and he kept trying to escape. I stroked him for a bit and calmed him down but on the way back, he kept hiding behind me at the approach of any other dogs.
It's a shame that the walk ended that way, just when we were making progress in his confidence.
He's out in the garden now, mulling it over in the sun with his peanut-butter-filled Kong.
Poor pooch.
x






Poor Barney. At least you were there for him in his time of need
ReplyDelete